Pages


Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Sundas, 10:18 AM, 4th of Morning Star

Season unending.  The ancient Nord word for war.  War.  What is it about that putrid beast that makes men swarm like carnivorous flies??  Like blood-starved wolves?  I do not understand the draw.  And because I refuse to take a side, to throw in my lot with either small minded leader I am looked down upon as a weakling, I felt at the council as if I was even viewed as a traitor by both sides at times.  Yes, I realize that if I were to join either the Imperials or the Stormcloaks I could probably turn the tide of battle in their favor.  Ulfric Stormcloak openly admitted this to be true when I spoke to him at Windhelm, Tulius did not come out and say it in so many words, but small minded as he is, he is not stupid, I'm sure he knows having the dragon born on his side would be a powerful ally.

But yet still I hold out, I will not fight for either side.  I suppose that soon the time will come when the forces clash on my doorstep, and I am no fool.  I will not die before picking up a sword to fight.  When the time comes for me to fight, I will be ready.  I will kill Nord and Imperial alike if I must.  But until that day comes, I will hold out.

And for the moment at least I have brought an unsteady peace.  Tulius and Ulfric have laid down their arms...ready to snatch them back up again at a moments notice if the need arise, but at least they have arrived at some childish measure of peace.  They say that they will give me time to stop the dragons.  We will see if either man can hold to his word for that long.  The way I see it I am now in a race against time.  I must capture a dragon in Whiterun...in Dragonsreach.  Now that the peace is established the Jarl will have no qualms in allowing me to use his courtyard.  I must bring the dragon down and interrogate it.  I have never even interrogated a fellow Nord...so interrogating a dragon sounds a bit out of my league, but what choice do I have.  I plan on using dragon-rend on it.  From everything I've heard making a dragon stare mortality in the face is one of the most painful experiences it can go through.  We'll see.

And after the dragon tells me where Alduin has gone...well...I go 'there'. Wherever there might be.  I must kill the world eater once and for all.  Or at least permanently banish him.  I am curious to see how all this planning will actually unfold in reality.  It is no small task I am undertaking here, that I realize.  They Greybeards plainly told me they only support me because of the fact that Paarthurnax does.

On that subject:  Delphine was at the council, I didn't invite her, I don't know how she heard about it, but she showed up.  The long standing hatred between the sword wielding blades and the peace loving grey beards was immediately evident, but they did well to refrain from harsh words.  However, after the council had adjourned and we were heading our separate ways Delphine approached me.  She seemed to be furious.

"So Paarthurnax, the great leader of the Greybeards has spoken to you?"

I told her it was so, and expressed my initial shock at him being a dragon.

"So I heard as well, did you know he was once Alduin's true friend, yet betrayed him in the end?"

I had assumed that Paarthurnax had some tie to Alduin, but that they had been close I was not aware.  I told Delphine so.

"What's to keep him from betraying us as well?  Rae, until this 'Paarthurnax' lies dead, I'm afraid the Blades cannot offer you their hand any more."

So blunt.  So very like Delphine.  Before I could respond she turned on her heel and was on her way out.  I didn't bother to stop her.  It was obvious she didn't care to argue.  I cannot however justify killing Paarthurnax in my own mind.  Perhaps he's done some things that would appall even the most battle born.  What of it?  The past is the past.  Perhaps the fact that I am a creature of the night myself makes me more understanding of the faults in others.  I see no reason to kill him for what he has done.  I judge solely on what he is doing.  And up to this point he has been a true friend and mentor to me.  Perhaps I will come to regret my choice, it wouldn't be the first time I've had a friendship go south.  And at that time I will do what I have to.  But for now I am not about to walk up a mountain and kill the sole dragon who I am on speaking terms with because an angry Blade told me to.

I rest at High Hrothgar today.  I shall head down to Whiterun in the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment