Pages


Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Fredas, 2:14 AM, 5th of Evening Star

That damned traitor!  I cannot believe I was stupid enough to trust the Bastard!  Mercer Frey, leader of the Thieves Guild, cold-blooded, back-stabbing murderer!  When I got back to the Thieves Guild and told him the news he immediately demanded that we set out to 'where the end began' or as he assumed Karliah to have meant, Snow veil sanctum.  I followed him there, and then diligently led him through the sanctum, killing draugr left and right, defending his life with the utmost loyalty.  And then he turned on me!  I was struck by a poisoned arrow--from the Dark Elf Karliah's quiver, but it turned out that the arrow saved my life by slowing my heart-rate enough that I didn't bleed out.  Through my hallucinations as I lay on the damp floor of the ancient crypt I faintly remember hearing a blurred conversation between Frey and Karliah, it turned violent...and then Karliah disappeared.  Mercer Frey then walked over to my paralyzed form, lifted his blade, and unceremoniously ran me through.  If it would not have been for Karliah's poison and compassion in coming back for me I would now be dead.  As it is, I have an ugly scar below my left breast and shoulder blade from where the blade came just short of piercing my heart.  I assume I will carry this scar forever, just another glorious reminder to trust no one.  Oh, and that bastard also killed Vigilance, I was never able to find out if the dog was any good in a fight, he didn't stand a chance against Frey.  I miss him.  I don't miss his incessant barking though, that was damned annoying and put a damper on my sneaking, but I do miss his companionship, he didn't care that I get drunk off blood.

Karliah claims that it was not her who killed Gallus, but Frey.  I wouldn't have believed her before, but recent events make me much more prone to accepting this.  And wasn't it only a few days ago that I wrote down in here how much I though Frey was an egotistical ass?  Guess I was right!  Karliah has the encoded journal Gallus left behind, it is her hope that if we can decode it we can expose Mercer for who he really is.  Fortunately she thinks that Enthir at the mages guild may be able to do this.  I hope so.  Seeing as I'm the Arch-mage he better be wiling to!  I was going to rest another day before heading out, but the winds here are bitter, Karliah has little food, and she is beginning to look like food herself...so beautiful...I have never tasted a Dunmer, but I hear drinking any elf's blood is like taking that of a child's, young sweet and fresh...ahh..I must leave her before I make a move I regret!

Later,

I made it to Winterhold uneventfully.  Enthir was more then willing to help when he heard what was going on.  He said that Gallus's journal is written in the language of the Falmer.  That is why I couldn't recognize it.  I've never even seen a sample of Falmer writing, despite all the Falmer who have met their end at the edge of my blade.  I guess I didn't really realize just how tragic the Falmer's history is.  While we munched on sweet rolls at the Frozen Hearth and shared a fine bottle of Black Briar mead, Enthir gave me a history lesson.

Apparently back before the Nords came from High Rock the Falmer, or Snow Elves as they were colloquially called, were scattered across Skyrim, living above ground, peacefully coexisting with each other.  Enthir even admitted that their culture could have easily rivaled his own, that of the Altmer.  I guess when the Nord's came to Skyrim the Snow Elves were no match for their brutality and skill as warriors.  They were killed by the thousands, eventually being driven underground where they made an uneasy alliance with the Dwemer.  But the Dwemer also turned on the Falmer eventually, making them what they are today--blind monstrosities which will kill anything that ventures too close.  It's a shame really, to think that such a beautiful culture could be reduced to such a level of base depravity.

Enthir said that the court wizard at Markarth, Calcelmo, should be able to help with decoding the journal, but also warned that Calcemo is not fond of sharing his knowledge.  I kind of got that impression the last time I had to deal with the wizard.  I have my fingers crossed that he hands over what I need to know peacefully.  But if he does not, I am more then prepared to take it by whatever means necesary.  Mercer Frey shall pay for his wrongdoings!

No comments:

Post a Comment