Pages


Monday, April 16, 2012

Tirdas, 10:24 PM, 28th of Frostfall


J'zargo is dead.  One second we were travelling silently though a misty cave near Solitude, next second we were in the middle of a necromancers' ambush.  They came at us from all sides.  we fought them off, J'zargo with his spells, claws and powerful ward spells, me with my steel.  As the last Necromancer fell into a pile of ragged robes the air grew heavy and still.  Suddenly it was as if someone blacked out all light.  And then shot it back on again.  I was momentarily blinded, I easily would have been killed by the first blast of fire if J'zargo's senses would not have been keener then my own.  He was in front of my with a ward to block the blast before it struck.  He then moved to the side and leveled a lightening bolt on our opponent.

What followed proved to be an encounter with one of the most powerful necromage's I have even encountered.  Even with my heavily enchanted shield, the mage's next blast of fire knocked my too my knees.  Like a flash J'zargo was there in front of my again, hands braced forward, fingers laced with a ward spell.  The necromage unleashed another fiery bolt.  I heard J'zargo moan softly but his ward held.  I could hear the walls of the cavern we stood in beginning to quake.  J'zargo did too.

"J'zargo shall return to his warm sands now."  I heard him whisper, barely audible over the crackle of Magicka. And then he rushed the mage.  I was on my feet behind him in an instant, I knew our only hope of survival was to get in close and stay behind his ward.  The ward absorbed another blast from the necromancer.  I leapt out around it at the mage but the man was too fast.  He moved faster then any man his age should have been able too.  He easily dodged my swinging blade and tossed another bolt of flame.  J'zargo darted in front of me, his ward broke as the fire impacted it.  And he was gone.  Just like that, completely consumed in the fire.

"IIS SLEN!"  I do not know the last word of the shout, but the first two were more then sufficient.  The necromancer slammed to the ground, a solid hunk of ice.  I could feel tears of rage and sorrow welling up inside of me.  I stepped over the ash that was J'zargo to where the wizard lay.  And rejoicing snear still frozen on his face from his victory over my companion.  Holding Gugnir by the blade I brought down its hilt in a mighty arc upon the brow of the solid icy form.  A million tiny pieces of ice, now melting into bloody flesh.

I gathered what I could of J'zargo's remains.  I have them with me know sitting on my rented desk in my rented room at the winking Skeever.  I still need to go to Alftand but I am struggling with finding a will to do so.  I hope to take J'zargo's ashes back to the mages guild for now.  Perhaps someday I will be able to bring them back to his clan in Elswyyr.  But for now I will pay them what respect this harsh land can offer.

As I sit here and mourn the realization overwhelms me that I am the Dragon Born.  Perhaps I do wrong by trying to share this destiny with any companion.  Look at what his happened with Lydia and J'zargo.  My mind wander to Farengar almost with effort.  If I see him any more, does that increase the chance of something terrible happening to him as well?

I realize now that I must travel alone from here out.  My destiny is not one to be shared.

No comments:

Post a Comment