Pages


Saturday, April 21, 2012

Middas, 10:18, 24th of Evening Star

So...I guess I caused a bit of a stir in Solitude the other day.  Lately my one single burning desire has been to master the art of smithing.  Now I figured that would be easy, I live in Whiterun, so does Jorland Grey-Mane, and of course as any one will tell you Jorland is a master smith.  Well I went and talked to him about a week ago to see if he'd be willing to pass on some knowledge.  I didn't realize that besides having an uncanny talent to work steel, he also has a razor sharp wit and no nonsense personality.  He told me he had no intention of training anyone who was not a member of the companions.  The last thing I need right now is some other organization vying for my attention, but I had my mind set on learning more about smithing, so I went and asked if I could join the companions.  They were very elusive and confusing about how to become a member and who was in charge, but I beat the horse crap out of one of their men who challenged me and they changed their minds.  I was told to go intimidate a man in Markarth and then I'd be in.  Easy enough, I went to Markarth, beat the horse crap out of a man at the Silver-Blood inn, (I have no idea why, no one would tell me why I was intimidating him, only that it needed to be done) and then was preparing to take the carriage back to Whiterun. And then I had an idea.  I thought that if I traveled to Solitude I could stock up on Iron Ingots to bring back with me so that I'd have more raw materials to work with while I was learning.  It seemed a perfectly logical plan to me.  So I went to Solitude, bought out the Blacksmith, and decided to spend the night.

For some reason I didn't feed that night.  I don't know why, I just didn't think about it.  I had a horrible dream as I lay asleep at the Winking Skeever.  It was as if I could see myself in a blurry, spectator view, sneaking through the rooms of the Blue Palace, drinking blood and slitting throats.  I started on the main floor, I snuck into the kitchen.  The chef was over by a pot on the fire completely unaware that I was feasting on his two assistants.  One I drained dry, the other I left with some life in her.  Then I moved upstairs.  There were two guards standing by the stairway, silently I stood up behind the one, dragging my silver blade across his neck, before his knees had time to buckle I was behind the other, spilling his blood as well.  I left them lying face down in growing crimson pools as I snuck nearer Elisif's bedchambers.  The former Jarl's wife laid in her luxurious bed, guarded closely by two guards positioned directly outside her chambers.  I had relived the first two guards of their steel daggers.  Holding one in each hand I breathed out slowly.  It was as if all of time stood still, I could feel even my own heart-rate decrease.

I swirled out from behind my hiding place to face the guards, in the dimly lit hall they couldn't see me, or perhaps I was invisible, either way they made no move as if they saw a threat.  I hurled the twin daggers simultaneously at their throats.  Daggers found marks, tracheas were severed, a soft thud was the only noise, and then a brief scraping of chain-mail as they slumped to the floor.

I entered the woman's chambers.  She lay, covered in white and lace, pale skin so beautiful, soft brow finally relaxed after being creased with worry all day, gentle hands finally open and at peace after being clenched in determined fists all day.  I wanted her so bad, I wanted to drink up every bit of life in her, taste every mouth full and savor it all.  I pulled the covers away from her slowly, living in the moment, appreciating every breath she inhaled, feeling every gentle exhale.  I was leaning forward when I heard the footstep.  Faster then I thought I could move I had thrown myself back into the shadow.  From an adjoining room came a shape, that of a man.  As he walked closer I could see that it was Falk Firebeard the Jarl's steward.  What was he doing up?  Did a man like him really have duties to do at this hour of the morning?

It mattered not, within the passage of a few seconds I knew he was going to see the pool of blood at the doorway and raise the alarm.  I had but one choice to get out alive.  Their was a window near Elisif's bed, it was stained glass, it would not be easy to break.  But I still had my dragon born powers, even in my dreaming state.  I stood slowly, using the looming shadow of a dresser to hide myself.  Firebeard saw the blood in the doorway, I had a split second as he stood in shock.

"WULD NAH KEST!"  I threw my arms over my face and leapt into the air, the power of my thu'um throwing my body through the air and out the window.  Colored slivers of glass went everywhere, glinting off moonlight as they flew through the silent night air.  Once I cleared the window I began to fall, the ground was a long way off.  I fell, and I fell and I fell.  Until I woke up in my bed at the Winking Skeever.

The guard all around town was in an uproar, everywhere, searching for a vampire.  Saying that no one is safe, and no one can leave.  The whole town was practically upside down when I snuck out, I'm sure it still is crazy, though I haven't heard anything since I returned to Whiterun.

Did I really do that?  Do I have control like Farengar said, or am I turning into a monster?  I don't know if the dream I had was all reality.  I didn't stay in Whiterun long enough to find out what exactly had happened, I only heard the shouts of 'vampire! vampire!' and knew I had to flee.

Did I really use my whirlwind sprint shout?  If I did and Firebeard heard it could he know if was me?  I certainly hope not, but I have had dealings with Firebeard in the past when those necromancers were trying to resurrect Potema.  He knows that I am dragon-born.

Gods preserve me.  What have I done?

No comments:

Post a Comment